Friday, July 06, 2007

Voodoo Chile

Since my office closed early for the holiday, I had time to kill on Tuesday before heading to the radio show. I decided to get something to eat at Oddfellows in Hoboken and ended up having several beers afterwards. Oddfellows isn't really the type of place to hang out and have a few beers. The food is good, but the beer is overpriced like most of the places in Hoboken. My brand was discounted at $2.50, but a couple construction guys nearby had a hard time swallowing $4.50 for a Bud and left in disgust after one. I wasn't able to determine the source of the music in the background, but it was crap for the most part. I almost rejoiced when "Sweet Jane" came on, the rest of the music had been so bad. Then a red-faced drunk came in. He was obviously drunk, but the bartender served him anyway. As if on cue, Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile" came on and the drunk went nuts. He started drumming along to the song on the bar. The funny thing was I was right there with him in spirit. Sometimes when I listen to Jimi Hendrix I think my head is going to explode. No other artist has this effect on me. I think it has something to do with the fact that I can't believe what I'm hearing. It truly is a mind blowing experience for me. Anyway, the pretty boy bartender is getting irritated by the drunk's drumming. Of course, I'm loving all this, waiting for the confrontation. The bartender asks him to stop and he does so for about ten seconds. Then he starts up again with renewed vigor. He's not just pounding the bar to the rhythm anymore, he's interjecting all sorts of assorted hand signals that only he can comprehend. I can't tell you how enormously entertaining this was to me. The bartender is really mad now. He removes the drunk's empty beer bottle and asks him to leave, "I asked you nicely the first time." The drunk knows the drill and doesn't make a fuss. Before exiting, he contorts himself, for our benefit, into some sort of dance move. I approve! Wait. What's this? Jimi Hendrix has morphed into Stevie Ray Vaughn doing the same song! Was that necessary? Hell no! Fucking music geeks with their dumb mashups!

4 Comments:

Blogger Angelissima said...

Yeah. What the heck is with the Mashup phenom? Make a mashup...shutup.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Yeah happy drunks always put on a better show than the angry ones.

I was in a bar recently, and could not help noticing the body language going on across the way between a couple who were probably out on their first date. She was over-animated, theatrical in every expression toward him, while he seemed aloof and preoccupied with the game, occasionally giving her some attention and keeping her soaked in her rum and coke. This continued as she trotted over to the jukebox, the huge theatrical production while trying to decide what she wanted to hear, followed by a very convincing pout as she she took her hair down and flipped it like some kind of shampoo commercial, glancing back over her shoulder to catch him watching the game. The only move he made was to push her drink closer to where she could access it quickly. Eventually he got the signal and made his way over to her side for assistance.

The head exploding sensation. Is that a good thing for you?

10:32 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

I thought Voodoo Chile had to do with the country, or eye of the chiliman's assburn chile. Ch&le.... Never considered it to sound like Child. Voodoo Child. I have to see the lyrics.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter