Monday, June 11, 2007

The Sopranos

Xmastime and Unconquerable have already weighed in on The Sopranos finale. Xmastime hated it and Unconquerable loved it. I guess I'm somewhere in between. I have to admit that I was initially disappointed by the abrupt ending to that incredibly suspenseful final scene (yes, I did think for a moment that my cable went out; no, I didn't groan as if I had been shot as I overheard one of my neighbors expressing his displeasure through my open windows or "boo!" my television as I've heard others have responded). And after a day to ponder all the theories being offered up as to "the meaning" of that final scene, I find myself less disappointed with it (seriously, next to the dream scene from Twin Peaks, I can't think of another scene from a television show that has inspired this much discourse).

Overall, I thought the final season was an improvement over the last few. I thought the series declined as Tony was made more likable as the series progressed. Tony snuffing out Christopher this season was a return to Season 1/Season 2 form when you never knew when Tony was going to do something despicable. That to me was the most interesting aspect of The Sopranos, that this character who could be so charming and likable one moment could also be a brutal murderer the next. At its best, The Sopranos held up a mirror to the worst aspects of American life. Sure, we could alternately laugh at or be horrified by their sociopathic antics (and often both simultaneously), but at the same time we could also identify with their more mundane daily problems.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You thought he became more likable? I think by the time Adrianna was killed me and a lot of people were pretty much actively rooting for his downfall.

7:24 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

Yeah, I thought there was a definite softening of Tony's character after Season 2 or so (it's been a while since I've watched the earlier seasons). Most of the dirty work was left to his henchmen. Except for the domestic violence that flared up in his marriage, I thought a conscious decision had been made to soften Tony up.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

I hear they left the door open for a movie deal. I don't subscribe to HBO and haven't had the pleasure of Tony's company. In fact, I have no idea why I'm leaving this comment.

8:29 AM  
Blogger ope said...

"love" is strong.not aggrieved more like it -- thought it consistent to the spirit and not a cop-out. now the season finale of riptide, that i loved.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

So whataya gonna do...fuggetaboutit.

http://www.nj.com/starledger/pdf/tuesday.pdf

1:03 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I used to get HBO but canceled it when Chris Rock left and my kids started staying up later than me.

I grew up with Italian kids so I heard all those words before and then some. The Sopranos never appealed to me because it reminded me of the worst of the people I knew. One funny thing I remember: the pecking order of Italians. Henry Iervolino used to get get under Frank Alfano's skin by calling him "Muzz," short for Mussolini.* Frank never swore and Henry had some mouth on him. One day I playing at Henry's and I heard his little sister let out a swear word. His mother said, "I don't know where she gets that effing language from."

__________
*This was 1965 and World War II was still in people's minds. I don't think kids today would even know Mussolini.

9:07 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Speaking of which...I recently met a 'youth' about 23, who bore the spitting image of Pat Boone, however on mention of it, the kid had no clue who I was referring to. "Okay", I said, "Well you are also a strong runner up to Joaquin Pheonix without the hairlip". Never heard of him. He wrote the names down so he could ask his mom or look em up. Didn't want to press the issue, since I don't know who Faith Evans is, but...I like her voice. Besides...i was there pickin up the eggplant parm...by the way, how is Bayonne's 'Cafe Bella', Mike? And what of "Gentleman's Quarters Barbershop"....do they ever actually open for business?

5:43 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Don't you think it's time, Mike?
Can't you do like I do and just rag on about something? Anything?

Sorry. PMS... Carry on.

Hey!I loved the Best Show last night! I had to agree with you on Robin Williams. He was on my list too. Talk about monopolizing/paralyzing the conversation.

How bout that Pop Pop sock hop or whatever Wurster was going on about last night. Where does he get all that material?? hmmmm....

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter