Monday, May 14, 2007

Broham and The Quisling

I stumbled upon this site by accident last week. If I'm reading this correctly, this numbskull claims to be the first person ever called "broham." Why anyone would want to lay claim to this distinction is beyond me. And yet I seriously suspect that this guy will probably go to his grave bending anyone and everyone's ear with this knowledge. How do I know this? Well, take a look at some of Broham's other accomplishments. Seriously, do you think he will ever top his Original Broham achievement? I suspect not (sorry, but appearing as an extra in the movie version of "Miami Vice" doesn't quite cut it). Better yet, just take a look at his picture. If this isn't the quintessential American lunkhead, I don't know who is (and he's "cocky" too! I never would have guessed! And "conceded"! Whatever that means!). Now that I think about it, maybe he is the Original Broham!

As much as I would dislike being called "broham," being called a "quisling" would be far worse. Reading David M. Kennedy's great Freedom from Fear, I came across this term again and couldn't help but think what a disappointment it must have been for the Quisling family to have their name become the noun for the European equivalent of a Benedict Arnold. Surely, they must have protested that Vidkun wasn't the only Nazi collaborator, "Why single us out?" But in this case, the sound of the name so accurately fits its definition that it almost seems inevitable. Actually, Benedict Arnold pales in comparison. Given the choice of describing a loathsome traitor, I'd have to go with "quisling" every time.

3 Comments:

Blogger josie2shoes said...

I checked out Broham's site.... ewwww! Just the font size says enough. LOL So I had to look up "quisling" at Dictionary.com having never heard the word before. Good word, it fits!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Vidkun. Worst name ever. Evil. I think they should have went with that instead of 'Quisling'which sounds to me like a small fowl.

"No.Vee must keel Vidkun to vin da varllll."

Ya think they serve 'Eggs Vidkun' in Norway?

1:22 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

For the first time in my life, I came across that word in a book I am reading. Small q. Amazing.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter