Friday, May 11, 2007

The guilt-ridden Mother's Day card

Am I the only one finding it increasingly difficult to find a Mother's Day card that strikes the right balance of sentiment? Some of these cards lay it on so thick, only a criminal out on parole would find them appealing. I actually feel bad after reading them. They're so heavy with guilt, I feel sorry for anyone who would have to buy one. On the other hand, some cards are so flippant as to be insulting. Would it kill you, Mother's Day card writers, to show a little respect for Mom? It is her day after all (and your biggest pay day, I suspect). How about a card for sons and daughters who aren't complete fuck-ups and don't need to make an annual act of contrition via the Mother's Day card or so disrespectful, ungrateful, and unfunny as to be a slap in the face? Is there really no middle ground for Mom?

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

No middle ground. I remember one salutation my 3 sibs and I used,

"To the Greatest Mother in 2000 years."

Like Kissinger said to Nixon, it had the added advantage of being true.

7:19 PM  
Blogger josie2shoes said...

I've encountered this problem often when shopping for Mother's Day and Father's Day cards, and birthday cards for them too. Too mushy, too butt-kissing, or too coldly generic. Yeah, how about some middle-of the road cards that say simple things like I love you without all the heartfelt tributes that sometimes don't ring true.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

There is a middle ground but It's ironic that the cards are often more like a dagger when a mother needs to hear words of gratitde and love. I hate the humor as much as the oozing sap and I am not even a mother.

Super Shoprite has the best selection, in my opinon.

The sweetest card I found: Hallmark, standard size, without the ribbon, a sepia toned photograph of a cute round faced little cherub (like your little Megan) in a courdoroy hat and jacket, holding a single daisy, which was lightly sparkled. Just sitting there peacefully, looking at the bearer of the card. Inside, simply,

"I couldn't have picked a better Mom."

Absolutly true, without the sap or guilt.

The runner up was by Mayolein Bastin, lotsa pink flowers and lotsa sparkle. I love you on the front.
Inside: " Today, I celebrate you, and all the ways you've touched my life....with your spirit of sharing, and your love of living.
H M D.

When in doubt go sappy over funny.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Next year, shop early.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter