Friday, February 15, 2008

A sick man's dreams

Now that I've become one of those middle-aged guys who can't make it through the night without a piss break, my dreams are often broken into double features (b. p. b. and a. p. b.). Last night's was a doozy. The first feature included one character after another making lengthy speeches about such things as "The World Food Bank." It was one of those dreams so infuriatingly boring that I'm convinced my waking up was a physiological response to the mental tedium. Upon awakening, I knew exactly what had inspired the dream. Before going to sleep I had listened to an audience recording of a Bruce Springsteen show from his last tour and had become irritated with the loudmouth fans who insisted on talking through most of the songs. Also, it occurred to me that Bruce's political speech before one of his songs was a little condescending (of course he's entitled to his views, but his having to spell things out for his audience with a speech seemed a bit much. Are we too stupid to interpret the songs for ourselves?). Clearly, these minor irritations played a part in the overly chatty and tiresome nature of the dream.

The second feature was a whole other story.

Earlier in the evening I had been thinking about a boy, a friend from my neighborhood when I was 8 years old, who was hit by a car while riding his bicycle, lingered in a coma for several years, and then died. I hadn't thought of him in quite a while and I'm still not sure what made me think of him last night. During the years that he was in a coma, volunteers from the neighborhood had pitched in to help the family with his therapy. My mother asked me to attend one of these sessions with her (it was probably at least a year after the accident). I only went with her once, but for obvious reasons there were certain things about the visit that I have never forgotten. I can still remember the gray light that suffused every room in the house and the hushed voices that the adults spoke in as we were led upstairs to Joseph's bedroom. Joseph, in pajamas, lay in what appeared to me at the time to be an oversized crib (really a hospital bed with sides that could be raised or lowered so he wouldn't fall out). We were encouraged to talk to him to keep his senses stimulated while we raised and lowered his arms and legs and rolled him from side to side on the bed. I remember my mother talking to him continually, but I don't remember saying anything myself (I was probably too mortified by Joseph's physical appearance; he was very thin and he wore a pained and baffled expression on his face as we manipulated his limbs). Naturally, I couldn't wait to get out of there and probably said as much to my mother after we left (this was most likely the reason I never returned). Tied to these memories is the memory of the look on the face of the classmate whose father's car had struck Joseph when another classmate taunted him about it. I don't think I was aware of that fact until that moment and I'll never forget the pained and baffled expression on that boy's face either. Because these boys had to endure these painful experiences at such an early age, they have been forever linked in my mind.

Perhaps because my memory of Joseph's emaciated body reminded me of the concentration camp victims I had seen in films about the Holocaust, the second dream had a Nazi theme. I was in a small farmhouse with stacks of dead Nazi corpses in a bin in the backyard. I had been instructed to start digging graves on the side of the house. As I began to furiously dig several graves at once, a family of corpses rose up from the pile. They weren't dead yet even though their skulls were beginning to poke through their faces! I say a "family" because it was obvious the animated corpses were a man and a woman and two kids. They began to lay down in the barely dug graves. Shocked, I asked them what they were doing. The father spoke for them all, "Why look to the future when the end is so near?"

12 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Wow...I know you wanted me to take it down a notch but, I have a longer comment on this one. I'm sure these a.p.d. and b.p.d. are related to what you described but...

Ok, I suspect that grave digging dream may be your mind telling you that with all of this nocturnal urination, you can't truly 'rest in peace. you just can't get passed the 'gray' matter...the superficial chit chat to a deeper realm...ya know?

So. Why not try a Texas condom cath at night Mike? Attaches securely and snuggly to the tubing which drains via gravity into the bag on the floor. Once you retrain your mind to just let it go, you will be able to sink to that place of unbroken deep sleep, where all the sweetest dreams are made. Melatonin or Valerian root are great sleep aids. And soft music in the background with positive messages.
Maybe a little grave diggin music...
"Oh yeah, Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone."
I'm so corny. Sorry. That's all. I'm done.
PS. Henry Miller woulda been dyin'

sweet dreams, honey child.

8:13 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

If the idea is to simulate my eventual death bed, Gina, why not go all the way and suggest I hook myself up to an EKG machine before tucking myself in each night as well?

6:32 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

You've been exposed to several "repression worthy" events as a kid, so its not altogether surprising that you'd have such dreams.

I can't even imagine having to "talk to" an emaciated neighborhood kid in a coma...and what could you say? "Heck no, Ma! You're not getting me into Joseph's comatorium!"

Your grin-and-bear-it situations are your great aquifer, Mike.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Such an aquatard. I'm being serious here. The Texas hold em Cath would be a 'temporary' measure to help your sleep, Mike. (sigh) Just forget it. you know, when you finally graduate to incontinence, Mike, you are going right into the Depends Nighttime Pull up and a rubber pad.

EKGs..simulation of your death bed. Come on. Live life. Do you have to go on St. Johns Wart? Are you exercising? Come on...you need to sleep through the night. Sleepy time tea. come on you big aquafuge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCfK0xE2OPw

6:54 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Sorry if that was disturbing. Here you go, Mike. I have to listen this You Tube every single day of my working life for the sake of Darren. It's embedding itself in my dreams, and I and have found it somewhat comforting when my thoughts turn dark. bow wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g50vzZzAja0

7:06 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I used to have a recurring dream that I had a body buried in a steel drum in the back yard under the crawl space of the porch.

Full disclosure: my grandmother was a Solomon so I'm allowed to follow up your Nazi dream: Did you know that Pat Buchanan lost a relative in the Holocaust?
His uncle fell out of a guard tower.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

barrels, black garbage bags on the side of the road, and rolled up carpets creep me out. my cousins found a human skullhead under the front porch.

done.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

would falling out of a guard tower qualify as an atrocity or an audacity?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Last night had a dream about a two-headed chicken - commencing down the aisle at a wedding ceremony as part of the regalia.

The chicken had a gray body. One of the heads (the larger of the two) was bright red (feathers) with gorgeous plumes (like a feather boa) around its neck (also red).

The other head was white and not so fancy, smaller. They were separated, actually it looked like a regular chicken with a smaller head sticking out of the back. It did have four legs.

What the heck was that about!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Chickens

To see chickens in your dream, symbolizes cowardliness and a lack of willpower. Chickens also represents excessive chatter and gossip. Listen closely to what people may be saying about you or what you are saying about others.

ummm...makes sense! I've been gossiping about my jerky neighbor (just on my blog) and I do feel cowardly for not confronting him, for the sake of tranquility on the block.

Check it out (for fun):
Dream Dictionary

12:39 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

I can't get through the night either, but it doesn't bother me because I fall right back to sleep. What's funny is that my cats know the difference between a piss break and me waking up.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

i try to stay asleep while I am up peeing, incorporate it into the dream. what?

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter