Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Mavericks

The mavericks are gone. What else would you call a bunch of guys who opened a bowling pro shop in a storefront several blocks from the nearest bowling alley? I knew their business was doomed from the beginning, but admired their gusto in following their crazy dream. For the several months that they were open, I never saw a customer in the store (I saw someone once holding a bowling bag on the sidewalk outside their store once, but for some reason I didn't get the impression he was a happy customer; more likely one of the owners just back from the lanes). I would see them at night occasionally after I got home from work, gathered around the small counter, eating takeout and laughing it up, and think to myself, "Man, they're living the life!" As much as I envied their carefree existence, inwardly I knew their days were numbered. They were laughing now, but in time they would be down with the rest us, grinding it out, hating every minute of it. And now they're gone and I feel a little guilty that I never gave them any business. Although I vowed many years ago after a resounding trouncing in a men's bowling league in Queens that I was "bowled out" and that I probably didn't need to bowl ever again, I contemplated buying new shoes or one of those modern bowling bags I saw in the window that didn't even look like a bowling bag to me (was there some secret shame attached to the old style bowling bag that I was unaware of?), if not to single-handedly keep their business afloat then at least to show them a sign that their insane endeavor had not gone completely unnoticed. The mavericks are gone and I miss them already. Their likes, I fear, will never be seen again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

this is so beautiful, Mike. You MUST send it in to the Bayonne Daily.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

I concur

11:26 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Maybe all is not lost, Mike. Imagine this:

Once your editorial hits the streets of Bayonne, a spark is rekindled in the heart and mind of every Maverick out there.

Psst. " Did you see the thing about our pro-shop in the Register this morning?"

"I was gonna ask you the same thing! It was powerful! First tears I cried since I lost Maggie."

"Yeah, I was moved. Who is this guy Lisk?'

Looks like a wannabe, and could be serious. Hey, Wasn't there a family of Lisks over there on Avenue C?"

"I don't know. Sure would like to buy him a drink, though."

A few days later you come home to a message on your machine. The guys want to talk to you. One thing leads to another and you wind up meeting a couple of them over at the Bayonne Lanes.

Pretty soon, it's a regular thing. Wednesday night bowling. Within a year you are grafted into the secret society, the Brotherhood of Mavericks. At one of the meetings, you are nominated to host an event unlike any other in the history of bowling in Bayonne. With the help of keynote speaker, Len Nicholson, former lane maintenance director for the Professional Bowlers Association, you are able to revive the vision for a quality bowling supply store in Bayonne, and are able to raise enough interest and financial support to reopen the Pro-shop under a new name "The New Maverick Proshop".
http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=11895&f=9

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter