Friday, May 04, 2007

The Man in Black

Another creepy dream last night: It's night and I'm living in some ramshackle apartment (not to be confused with the apartment where I currently reside). There are no lights on in my apartment or on the street. Everything is dark. As I pop out of my apartment to dash across the street to pick up something to eat, a van drives by looking for a parking spot. I cannot see the occupants of the van, but I can hear the voices of my parents arguing inside. When I get to the other side of the street I realize that it's very late and that all the stores are closed. I retrace my steps back to my apartment. A few steps into my apartment, I remember that my parents will soon be arriving and return to the front door. As I step out of my apartment again, I'm confronted by a frightening figure: a tall man, dressed head-to-toe in black, his head and face completely obscured by a black beekeeper's-type helmet. The voices of my parents behind this figure aren't exactly reassuring. For a moment, I think it may be my older brother, but I'm not sure.

That's when I woke up. I guess I have a built in defense system that automatically wakes me up when things are getting too creepy. Thank goodness. I wasn't exactly in a hurry to get to know The Man in Black.

7 Comments:

Blogger Angelissima said...

wow. did you know the tall dark stranger image is the sign for love and romance in a dream?

Is the room pleasant or painful as a space in its own right? These are central issues to identify.

Does the darkness of the room inspire peace and rest or fear and disorientation?

Peace and rest may indicate sanctuary or maternal reassurance.

Fear and disorientation may show mother-power or personal loss in an archetypal shift of awareness or threaten shift in roles.

Talk amongst yourselves.

11:40 AM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

No. I don't know if that interpretation applies in this instance, angelissima.

The room wasn't pleasant or painful, but there was definitely a sense of foreboding and fear with the appearance of The Man in Black.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

aw, Mike, bad dream? At first i was thinking Johnny Cash for sure. Then, I read Angie's post and thought of the symbolism involved and the most scary thing in it seemed to be that beekeepers helmet or hood and generalized darkness. So I researched 'hooded figures. When you see this site, click on the underlined word hood...I got a chuckle and thought Aha!!! It's him!

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-hooded-figures

Could be something you read or watched recently. Or the full moon or those cookies...

2:00 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

I'm partial to the symbolism of love being a tall dark hooded stranger. Love can be a fearsome undertaking.

I especially like your parents warning in the background, and the sense of fear showing a mother-power.

ps: I didn't make it up. I googled for a dream analysis.

I don't dream very often. I think I'm just too exhausted to dream. I don't have scary dreams. Mostly I'm involved in a hair-brained scheme...or some really outrageous love triangle.

In the last dream I remember I was dating my boss and thinking how very odd that was. He's quite socially retarded. Maybe I should google that? ;-)

Sweet Dreams, Bayonne Mike!

7:03 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Hey, he might not be romantic, and may even have his dark moments, but
I'd rather it Patterson Hood at my door than some tall dark woman in a beekeeper helmet.

Yank that thing off next time you have this dream, Mike, will ya so me and Angie can have some peace?

2:40 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

This is easy for one skilled in dream analysis:

Your birth:
There are no lights on in my apartment or on the street. Everything is dark. As I pop out to pick up something to eat I cannot see. I can hear the voices of my parents

Your baptism:
…a tall man, dressed head-to-toe in black, his head and face completely obscured by a black beekeeper's-type helmet. The voices of my parents behind this figure aren't exactly reassuring…my older brother, but I'm not sure…

Your death:
…to know The Man in Black.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Your Life:

"As I pop out of my apartment to dash across the street to pick up something to eat, a van drives by looking for a parking spot."

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter