Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut was one of my literary heroes as a youth. He was probably my first favorite writer (not counting Matt Christopher); my earliest independent reading consisting mainly of paperbacks of books associated with movies (Jaws, Deliverance, The Exorcist, The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 etc.) that I picked up at the local drugstore. I'm pretty sure the first book of his I read was the short story collection, Welcome to the Monkey House (I think the freaky artwork on the cover convinced me into giving him a try). "Harrison Bergeron" was the story that hooked me (I can still remember pressing it on my brother, "You've got to read this!"). From that moment on, I set about reading all of his books (Player Piano being the only one I never got around to; I think I read that Vonnegut himself didn't think it was that good). I read everything else up to Breakfast of Champions, his latest book at the time (Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse-Five, The Sirens of Titan, and Breakfast of Champions being my favorites). I was disappointed by his next two books, Slapstick and Jailbird (I was such a big fan at that point that I actually bought the hardcover versions!). They suffered from a creeping cutesiness, I thought. When I went to college and discovered other writers, my infatuation pretty much came to an end. And if I didn't read any of his later books, I always considered him an old friend and would read reviews or interviews just to find out what he was up to lately (I recently spent a lunch hour at B & N reading and being entertained by a couple of essays in A Man Without a Country). Last night, saddened by the news of his death (of course, in the world of television, he only rated a few seconds at the end of Nightline), I picked up Hocus Pocus to read before bed (it was one of his later books that I had heard good things about, but never got around to reading). I ended up reading three chapters and staying up much later than usual. The Vonnegut voice was unmistakable: cranky, funny, sad and amused by the randomness and cruelty of human affairs. I think I may have some catching up to do with my old friend.

7 Comments:

Blogger Xmastime said...

dont forget he was in 'Back to School'!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

It was Nancy Smith's reclusive brother Michael who introduced us to Kurt Vonnegut. He insisted we read CATCH-22 (Heller) and BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS (Vonnegut) as if these novels were the Bible of the Burbs, required reading for all rebellious teens.
A voracious reader, Nance read most of Vonnegut's novels passed on by Michael. I lost interested (big surprise).

Looking back it was one of those rites of passage for we suburban kids not unlike the standard issuance of the FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! and BOSTON albums.

10:51 AM
Delete

10:56 AM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

I remember Nancy being a Vonnegut fan. I thought she was one cool chick. Whatever happened to the reclusive brother?

12:40 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Michael still lives at home in Howell. He is 7 years older than us.

He never married or lived on his own, he cuts his own hair.
He does not believe in the use of the IPOD. He assured us all the music he needs to hear is in his head.

He is an artist, our Michael. He's exhibited at various galleries around the State.

For money he decided to become a locksmith. Mike Smith, Lock Smith.

Nance has been married almost 20 years now to Tim Racek, a friend of my first husband. She has four children, Tim, Kate, Gillian (a 9/11 baby - her husband survived)
and the newest addition, Michael (born 1/06)
I have to hand it to her, being a new mom at 45 takes chutzpah.

And yes, she is still one cool chick.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

The Liskian voice is just as unmistakable: cranky, funny, sad and amused by the randomness and cruelty of human affairs.

It's an honest and refreshing voice.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

He's still a hit with the college kids like my daughter. I've been reading what she reads like David Sedaris and Jeffrey Eugenides and she pulled Kavalier & Clay off my shelf.

BriBlack2020: Quick question: when you read Vonnegut was it for school or pleasure?
BridgeB423: um
BridgeB423: slaughterhouse five was for school, galapagos was for leisure

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter