Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Power of Classic Rock, Part 2

I went to see Bruce Springsteen at the Byrne Arena last night (I later learned it's recently been renamed the "Izod Center"; I guess every generation is going to get to call this building a different name). It was a good show and I enjoyed it. Maybe if I loved the new album, Magic, I would have liked it even more (the new songs are pleasant enough, but nothing knocks me out). I also think I may be approaching Springsteen burnout. I've probably seen Bruce Springsteen more than any other artist. It's almost become a sort of ritual for me whenever he tours with the E Street Band (I laid off seeing his Human Touch/Lucky Town band or any of his solo tours). So, when he does his classics (The Promised Land, Badlands, Born to Run), all still favorites of mine, I get a feeling of deja vu more than genuine excitement. Sure, there are probably fans who would go home disappointed if they didn't hear Born to Run, but at this late date, I doubt the numbers would be significant. Do I sound like a jaded wet blanket? Maybe. Or maybe the power of classic rock just waxes and wanes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rambler said...

But did he do "Mary Queen of Arkansas?"

11:11 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

"Downbound Train" is his best. Each time I get laid off I think of it.

11:32 AM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

No Mary Queen of Arkansas, rambler, although I do believe I did see him do that song once. He did "Cynthia" for only the second time ever and it didn't even register until I saw the setlist. Not exactly one of my top cuts.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

I've never been to a Bruce concert.
I've seen him jump up on the stage and play at the Pony, though.

I used to feel like I was missing some sort of rite of passage (especially for a Jersey Girl).
Now I don't think I could handle the arena scene. Drunks sloshing beer all over the place, no thanks.

Nah, you're not a wet blanket, Mike. We're just getting older. I actually walked out on a Phil Lesh concert last year...too smoky!
The "our age" dead heads were bouncing around so much I thought the balcony was going to break right through to the lobby.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

I don't know "Cynthia." I know Cindy, I used to have a single of that one and really liked it. If he did Fever I'd be psyched.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter