Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Hammer Beckons

The Human Y0-Yo is back. When the threat of physical violence is imminent from her alcoholic cohort, the Human Yo-Yo calls me, the Fucking Fool. I got the call last week, too, but by the end of the week (a week that was supposed to result in a job or rehab) the desire to continue the descent into insanity was too strong, so the Human Yo-Yo bailed. After a weekend of round-the-clock drinking interspersed with a daylong hangover, she realized that she was right back where she started from (actually, the inevitable threat of eviction seems to be bringing things to some sort of head down at the drunken abode). After her most recent departure, I vowed that I would never pick up my ringing phone again (I don't have one of those call-screener things). I still don't know why I picked it up. Maybe it's because I'm the Fucking Fool. Anyway, I get the same old song and dance with the same result: the Human Yo-Yo is back. But this time I got the added bonus of her fellow alcoholic calling after he stumbled home from the bar (I had enough sense not to pick up that call), followed, shortly after, by a drunken appearance in the lobby of my building ringing my bell. By this time I was in such a rage that I seriously thought that I could bring things to a hasty conclusion. The hammer that had sat on the top of my refrigerator since this asshole's last visit beckoned. I saw it all in my mind's eye: a quick dash toward the lobby with the hammer raised, the drunk fumbling in the narrow vestibule in his attempt to escape, the falling hammer, the falling drunk. Nothing could be simpler. I probably didn't even need the hammer. A simple shove down the steep stairs outside my building would work just as well (drunks take falls all the time, why not give him a hand?). Fortunately, I came to my senses and left it at, "If he's not gone in five minutes, I'm calling the police." And, fortunately, I didn't have to do that. He slumped back to the drunken abode only to reemerge the next day with a series of drunken messages alerting me to the fact that he was "angry" (I assume that's what he said, his speech was rather slurry). So not only am I now harboring someone who needs to be in rehab, but I've got her drunken, woman-beating cohort along for the ride, threatening that should he ever meet me that he "will be violent" with me. Welcome to the world of the Fucking Fool.

12 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Oh NO, Mike. Other arrangements need to be made. Rehab. Take her to that rehab. You do not need this guy around making threats... He's obviously as crazy as she is. Get a restraining order! Change the locks. I would get her out of there ASAP. It's crazymaking! Praying for you that you make the right decision and something opens up for her, besides your home. YOU are a saint. Fool saint.
Get some pepper spray. ugh....

2:40 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Mike, you enabler. She'll never get better if you keep taking her in.

Dial:
1-800-245-1377 or (908) 687-8566
24 Hours a Day / 7 Days a Week
Northern NJ AA

I'll come up and 12th step her out of there if you want. There are quite a few great rehabs and half-way (even three-quarter way) homes in my area. I've seen miracles happen to women, some right off the streets of Newark, prostitutes, drug addicts, and drunks turn their lives totally around.
Its amazing.

Long-term care, Michael.
She's not getting any younger. Her health (mental and physical) is going to start to really deteriorate if she doesn't get a grip on this soon.

It would be the kindest hand you could give her and you don't have to do this alone.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Give this place a call, very good programs for women only.
Princeton House

1:33 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

She made a call to a rehab this afternoon. They told her to call back tomorrow morning to check on the availability of a bed.

This was prompted by another visit from the other lunatic today. This time via the fire escape (strangely, I heard sounds outside my building last night and thought this was something he might try). She called the cops, but he had already fled the area. As bizarre as it was to learn that there was a police officer in my apartment while I was at work, it did bring home the point that it would be best for everyone involved if she entered a rehab.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

That's a start. FYI:
Princeton House will come and pick her up...

8:58 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

Princeton House doesn't accept patients without insurance, but they did recommend a place in Flemington which looked promising. I'm hoping the details will be worked today. Thanks for the info, Ang.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Rambler said...

Mike, nothing I can add execpt to echo what others are saying. That said, from what you've told me of this person, the odds aren't very good that rehab will take. Some people have much lower bottoms than others and she may not be there yet. Hopefully she'll reach a point of surrender and stop digging the hole and start to climb out.

Good luck and steer clear

1:08 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

He was on the fire escape? So much drama for a laid back dude like you, Mike.

"Hey Stella!!!"
The beer can named Desire is probaby embedded in his mind. Hey wait, There IS a beer named Stella something.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

"We admitted we were powerless over alcohol--that our lives had become unmanageable."

Don't give up hope, Rambler. If she's willing to give it another go - she needs unconditional moral support.

Its the most natural thing in the world for an alcoholic to want a drink.

She needs a strong sober support system *after rehab* that doesn't involve people she can easily manipulate, especially men.

She's been sober before, right? The key is getting an AA sponsor right away, someone she can be accountable to. A solid foundation of good meetings...

That being said, she has to want to stay sober more than she wants to get drunk. Long-term rehab would help her cache of sober living techniques.

She has to be sick and tired of being sick and tired and willing to go to any lengths.

For Mike, the worst part is the clever maneuvers she uses to reel him back into the cycle of insanity.

Insanity. Repeating the same things expecting different results.

A charming lot of manipulators we are!

Keep us posted!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

HE PULLED A KNIFE ON ME

We had an alcoholic in the apt. on the second floor who made life miserable with all his noise for the guy downstairs on the first floor, Danny. Danny is in his sixties. The inventor of the brick used Dan as a model, super classy black gentlemen. Most popular guy in the building bar none, if he had decided to take action, no one would have remembered seeing it happen. I wasn't home. Who? Oh whatta shame.

The board took action to evict the alcoholic, not for the noise, although we tried to use that in court, but because he was in arrears. His lawyer's defense? Your honor have mercy. He's a victim of a terrible disease. The judge ruled against us, saying we couldn't fine him for late maintenance, couldn't evict him, but upheld the claim for back maintenance. In other words, pay your rent when you feel like it, we're your banker with interest-free loans.

So, if you take executive action against this guy you'll be accused of victimizing him. It's a lose/lose. As my friends at the academy in the 80s were taught off the record, plant a knife on him. If you have any property or cash, get it transferred to someone for awhile before you do it, although that's evidence of prior intent so be careful. One swing of Mjolnir could make you a pauper. Remember what the justice system did to our old neighbor on 14th St., BG?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

It's never really over, is it? Maybe this time it will seem more over than than the last. I hope so. The fact that the other guy is involved complicates the situation. Please be careful Mike. No knife plantings, honey-chile.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Did she ever get to rehab? If not, check Crawford House. They only take women who are indigent/homeless/no insurance.

I've met quite a few of the ladies, they are not at all what you would think, just women that had a tough break. They need to be employable and willing to stay sober.

A six-month commitment to the program is necessary.

Crawford House

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter