Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Part four

On the first night of the cruise there was a "Singles Only" event in one of the bars on the ship. After surveying the crowd, I joked with my friend at dinner that we would be the only ones there. I wasn't that far off. Aside from us, there was some guy I had already crossed paths with at another bar before dinner. He was traveling alone. Wherever I go, it seems, I can't shake these lonely guys. I wonder if they feel the same about me? Probably. We're everywhere! His name was Bud or Mac or something--I've already forgotten. He was a smoker and had grubby smoker's hands. Right off the bat he let it be known that he was on his second consecutive cruise (he was about my age and claimed that he was "semi-retired"--I had no interest in pursuing this topic further, so I never found out how he made all his money). When he found out I worked in publishing, he also claimed that he read "a book a day" (he liked history and science fiction). It sounded like bullshit to me, but who am I to judge? Maybe he really was some grubby rich genius. And if he was deluding himself? So what. Where would we be without our illusions? It was only when he started calling us "Yankees" because we were from NJ (he was from FL) that he became annoying (what's with these Southern guys who never got over the Civil War? Is that some sort of regional mental disease?). Strangely, I never ran into Southern Man during the rest of the cruise (he was probably in his "stateroom" reading).

The only other "singles" present were a woman from Queens who turned out to be the sister of the ship's chaplain (sad to say, I never made it to any of his services) and some creepy married guy who was also traveling alone for some reason (and possibly looking for a little action on the side--man, was he shit out of luck!). When the piano man working hard to "entertain" us carefree singles began to irritate, my friend and I made a hasty retreat ("if a cruise ship piano man plays and there is no one there to hear him...").

5 Comments:

Blogger yakimba said...

Hey Marlowe, I haven't been this depressed since the first time I read Lord Jim!

But still I'm enjoying it!! Keep the installments coming ... are you going to jump off?! Is Captain Brierly going to commit suicide?!? Will the aged natives kill the southern man??

Where would we be without our illusions, indeed!!!

1:29 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

Stay tuned, yakimba. Frankly, it's more like The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' but with bingo (I hope I'm not giving too much away!).

2:26 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Just how many bars are on a cruise ship? I'm rooting that you connect with an Elizabeth Shue-lookalike lady bartender.

8:32 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

Including the poolside bar, there were 5 bars on this ship. On the other hand, there were a few "Friends of Bill" meetings as well. We weren't quite sure what the "Friends of Dorothy" meetings were all about at first until the gay couple at our dinner table filled us in (Dorothy = Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz). I wondered about this stereotype. Surely there must be some gay people who don't like Judy Garland. Anyway, my friend thought it would be "a hoot" to show up at a Friends of Dorothy meeting in Wizard of Oz garb. To this end, she secured a wine bottle basket to carry Toto in. That's as far as her costume went, though, and she never made it to a meeting.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

You SURE this wasn't one of those Richard Yates cruises?

http://www.swift-tourism.com/bay-view.htm

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter