Friday, March 16, 2007

The pros and cons of cruising, part two

As I made my way down the escalator to baggage claims in Tampa International airport, I saw a couple elderly ladies waving Celebrity cruise line signs. There was a bus shuttle service to the ship and I quickly made arrangements to take it (at $18 it was a bargain compared to the $36 cab ride from Bayonne to Newark--I guess part of the deal of living in the NYC area is that you are routinely getting ripped off).

As I waited, I couldn't help but notice a developing trend: most of the people boarding the bus appeared to be in their 60s or 70s. This wasn't a big surprise. Retirees generally have more time and money to travel, I thought. I even smiled to myself when an old time dude decked out in pastel shorts and t-shirt and a fanny pack boarded the bus with a hearty, "Who's got the rum?!" Well, I thought, they may be older, but at least they're lively. Then a dozen or so elderly ladies boarded the bus en masse and began gabbing about their various ordeals in arriving in Tampa. They sounded like a group of extras from the movie Fargo (actually, they were from Milwaukee, but that's close enough). My heart began to sink. Holy fuck, I thought, what have I gotten myself into this time?

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

You are about to enter another dimension. You’re moving into a place of both shadow and substance, of wrinkles and blowouts, of pastel shorts and fanny packs....

2:50 PM  
Blogger yakimba said...

You should have used the toilet brush while out on the poop deck -- that would have been lively ...

But Dustin (and I guess we'll have to wait for part three) tell us about your Mrs. Robinson adventures, or um, perhaps with Mrs. Robinson's mom??

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter