Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Remedial math

I think I've discovered a new way to save money (or scam the mathematically-challenged). Wait until the cashier has rung you up, then give the cashier the change required to make the next dollar amount. Without the aid of the cash register, I've found that a lot of cashiers seem to be unable to do the most basic math to give you the correct change. Some will be entirely flummoxed and even look to you for help, but some will become so frustrated that they will just guess (incorrectly and to your advantage) what the amount is. Today while purchasing the reissue of The Replacement's "Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash," the price came to $17.11 (no wonder the music business is in the shitter!). I didn't have 11 cents, but I did have a quarter which I handed over with $20 after the cashier had rung it up. This threw the cashier off entirely. I got back $6.14 which was a more reasonable price for a cd, I thought, so I didn't say anything and walked away. Does this make me a thief or did the cashier learn a valuable lesson?

9 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

hmm...

4:16 PM  
Blogger yakimba said...

It's not a good act, but it's not as bad as voting for McCain just to irritate some talking heads.
(That was also a good band!)

7:22 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

that's about the same amount I owe to Walmart for the groovy earrings i accidentally walked out with last year. been meaning to return them. meanwhile, i pulled them out of my handbag, and all that was left to them were the wires hanging on the cardboard backing. great. I was honest at one time. now it's an effort.

i know there is no controlling you, but i'd get back there ASAP, M, and settle this discrepency once and for all. it's not worth losing your integrity over. look at me. and be prepared for the fanfare you're gonna get over being so honest. it's a good lesson. an inexpensive one.

2:13 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

I went back yesterday and bought an overpriced used cd (Funkadelic's Maggot Brain for $9.99--mainly for the song Super Stupid which has been stuck in my head since listening to it last Sunday). I consider us square now.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

nope, not buying that one, Mike.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Play that funky music, white boy!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

oh man, i almost made a HUGE mistake. Almost gave my dad a Little BIG Cd.
Never saw the parental warning. It's so small. They left on a trip. I had this idea that I would pop it into Mom's CD player so it would come on...Thankfully, I was curious and listened...OMG, every track littered with profanity and sextalk. Can you IMAGINE!? I gave him the James Taylor one instead.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. Park said...

Randy Cohen would find this as straightforward as little G. She nailed it pretty sharp. If your integrity is to remain intact, then go back. If you call the return purchase a balancing of the scales, I would be quick to correct you. The cashier has not learned the lesson, he or she probably didn't understand where they erred. Anyway, i picked up someone's atm Chase debit card from the ground on my way to work this morning. I entertained the thought of going to the immediate gas station and filling up the tank, and buying a case of cold ones to prepare for the heat, and maxing out my metrocard, but i refrained. I called the 1-800 number and reported the card for the sap who dropped it.

I hope that god is a fair judge, and that my act of responsibility served to counter my many transgressions of youth.

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter