Friday, April 04, 2008

Eat, shit, sleep, and die (for Xmastime)

As we all know (and spend most of our lives trying to forget), our body has its own agenda and no matter what we do, it will have its way. Its agenda, as far as I can tell, is pretty simple: eat, shit, sleep, and die (for brevity's sake, and alliteration, I include drinking under "eating" and pissing under "shitting"). Nothing reminds us more dramatically of this fact than a bout of diarrhea (vomiting is also a good reminder, and terminal illness the best, but, fortunately, a lot of us will be spared that horrible fate). I was rudely awakened to the body's demands, yet again, the other night when I was caught unawares and outdoors, with my guts squirming, a good distance from my apartment.

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to exercise my way out of my annual post-winter funk by walking for about an hour in a nearby park (I've given up the running thing mainly because, at 46, I no longer feel I'm in contention for the Olympics and because I hate every minute of it). Each year at this time, I emerge to move about outdoors (I don't believe in gyms) and shake off the impending depression that I'm sure would descend if I continued to live like a shut-in year round. So, there I was the other night, like some exercise nut, pounding the pavement in a virtually empty park due to the cold wind blowing in off of Newark Bay, when my stomach began to rumble. A smarter person would have cut their exercise routine short to make it back to their apartment in time to take care of business, but I was not that person. A smarter person would have approached the man closing the park's public restrooms and asked politely if he could use the facilities before he locked the door, but I was not that person either. No, I was the guy in control. Mind over matter and all that. I could keep a tight asshole with the best of them, I thought. I must have been about a mile from home when it dawned on me that things were a little more serious than I had suspected. As the sweat began to bead on my brow, I began searching for a dark corner of the park where I could let nature take its course. I had gotten the shits once before in the park years ago, but that was during the summer months when the foliage provided deeper cover. To make matters worse, there was a cop car parked within sight of the area I had in mind (the same area that had previously spared me the ignominy of shitting myself). When I saw the wide trunks of a group of trees providing the darkest shadows for my darkest of deeds, I ducked behind one and dropped my drawers. There's nothing quite like being naked (even if it's just below the waist) in the great outdoors, is there? The cooling breeze to the nether region, the collective unconscious memory of our primal roots as naked brutes scrambling around in the dirt like animals. I had no time for any of that. I parked my back against a tree trunk and let fly as if it was the most natural thing in the world. And it was! Triumphant trumpets blared, celestial choirs rejoiced in song (all in my head, of course)! All was right again! I briefly recalled a former boss of mine who used to moan with pleasure whenever he took a dump. I think I finally understood what that was all about. Joyous thoughts such as these filled my mind as I resumed the upright position and pulled my pants back up. I think I even smiled to myself as I glimpsed over my shoulder the averted catastrophe I had left slumping in a heap against the tree. But in all this merriment, I failed to remember the usual course of my bouts with diarrhea: first wave, solid; second wave, liquid. Maybe I would have walked with a little more urgency if I remembered this instead of sauntering along, almost drunkenly, with relief. But, as we all know (and spend most of our lives trying to forget), there is no true relief in this life; only brief interludes before the ax finally falls. This point was brought home with stark terror as I bounded up the stairs to my apartment building fearing I would make a mess in the lobby or along the staircase. Fortunately, that didn't happen. Unfortunately, it wasn't a complete success either. Another one of life's lessons, I guess.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

This isn't actually the first time is it? Something about the way you let loose on that tree which smacks of repeat offender. A seasoned veteran.

Look, you did what you had to do, Pooh. Maybe next time, try taking a Lomotil just prior to your jaunt. I suppose it would be too far from your primal instinct to tuck a measure of TP in your drawers?

one last thing....Did I ever tell you about the time ______ had a BM in the middle of a trail (just outside of an outhouse)? She said the structure seemed too dark and smelly. Covered the pile with some fall foliage, for shits and giggles.

Crap on.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

do this at the next game your at.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Liskian shit fits are no joking matter! have some respect.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

Yikes! I know the feeling all too well. Once upon a time, sitting out on the back nine (as a volunteer watching for an eagle during a charity skins game) I heard (felt?) natures call and after my walkie/talkie may-days fell upon deaf ears I had to take matters to the "darkest shadows for my darkest of deeds."

Hey, since we're letting it all hang out so to speak, what did you use to wipe?

(me:leaves)

5:02 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Wipe? Men of the dark wood aren't expected to wipe are they? I thought thats what the cotton brief was for.

Hey- I know I am out of my league but what is the proper name for those stragglers, you know, the rolled bits of TP which break off in our never ending post-primal struggle for complete tidiness? I've been calling 'em damn Yankees, but I know there's a better word.

If leaves could scream. "Leave us alone!!"

8:39 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

if leaves could talk. "Leave us alone!!"

Wipe? Men of the dark wood aren't expected to wipe are they? I thought thats what the cotton brief was for.

Hey- I know I am out of my league but what is the proper name for those stragglers, you know, the rolled bits of TP which break off in our never ending post-primal struggle for complete tidiness? I've been calling 'em damn Yankees, but I know there's a better word.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

hey...check your email!

10:56 AM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

There really weren't any leaves available. And I didn't exactly have time to forage. I clenched my ass and stiff-legged it out of there (which also may have contributed to the minor disaster that ocurred later).

1:27 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

the clencher!

at least the second wave was contained within your own apartment. building.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter