Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"You would know me if you saw me"

A woman I didn't know left a message on my answering machine last night. She said she was at the Bayonne Medical Center and that she couldn't go into details over the phone. I immediately assumed it was a member of the hospital staff calling to inform me of the latest calamity to befall a self-destructive friend of mine. When I called the number she left, I got no answer, not even a voice mail message. I tried the hospital's general number, but after the usual runaround was unable to get any information on the name the caller had left or my friend's name. I went to bed wondering what was going on. Of course, my imagination kicked in. I dreamt that my friend had "expired" and awoke earlier than usual and was unable to get back to sleep. Since the woman had said that she would be at the hospital through the night until 11 a.m., I tried the number again. This time "Theresa" answered the phone. I gave her my name and reminded her that she had left a message for me last night. After bungling my name ("Lask, Lisle" etc.), she informed me that she had been admitted to the hospital last night and would be homeless when they released her this morning. She wanted to know if she could stay with me. "Do I know you?" I asked, "I don't even know who you are." "You would know me if you saw me." I told her I didn't think so. "Well, OK, just forget about it then." Of course, the question still remains: where did she get my number in the first place? Did she do a random search through the phone book or is word getting out on the street that my apartment is some sort of safe haven for wayward women? I'm not expecting any answers soon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Probably Broken Ankle's roomie before she was evicted by your friend. I would be surprised if she wasn't given your address. The ML Chapter House.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

This takes the cake, Mike! 'That Girl' giving out your number as a safe-haven...the nerve.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

or maybe...it's one of your girls from match! someone who had your number in her little black book!'
'you would know me if you saw me'.
Think back. Wasn't there a Teresa way back there? The Psychologist!

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter