Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sports tawk

I don't write about sports here because, frankly, I think there's way too much sports talk as it is. A couple months ago Richard Ford wrote in the New York Times about how the sports media is killing sports and I couldn't have agreed with him more (even after my horrible experience with Independence Day). When did what used to be a short pre-game show get stretched out into a two hour snoozefest featuring former football players stuffed into designer suits (followed by another post-game snoozefest making the amount of snooze and actual sports practically equivalent)? Does anyone find this endless blather interesting or are people just happy that some politician isn't on talking about Iraq? I definitely think there's a correlation. Ever listen to sports radio? All it takes is about 15 minutes of Mike and the Mad Dog to realize that being "a fan" (or a "sports analyst," for that matter) is quickly becoming some new form of mental illness (I'm not a psychiatrist, but there's also something about Mike Francesa's fluttering hands that I find quite disturbing). As a man, it's embarrassing to hear other grown men going on endlessly about the most trivial minutia of a sporting event as if it was the most important thing in the world. Listen, I like sports. It's a fun distraction. But once a game is over can we just let it be over? Am I the only one who senses an underlying desperation to this never ending chitchat (to paraphrase Thoreau: Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with a game still on the TV)? I realize men need sports so that they can talk to each other (why talk to each other about something meaningful when you can talk to each other about something trivial, right?). And I'm certainly grateful for it (if I didn't have sports to talk about with my father, I don't know if we would have much else to say to each other). So, guys, can we just dial it down a notch with the behind-the-scenes sports gossip crap? It's making us look like idiots. How about we talk about a big game up until the next big game and then forget about it completely? That's essentially what I do. This is how I put sports in its proper perspective. And to people like Bob Costas who works so hard to romanticize sports into some great shared memory, I say, try building memories as an active participant in your own life rather than as a passive spectator at a sporting event.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

What the eff? Did Donahue die and you're dating Marlo Thomas?

Seriously, since the soul-sucking Met season and the Jet collapse I've been reading, blogging, running, visiting Mom. One Sunday I had the time, the time of my life, I took a walk, a walk with my wife.

I have the same experience with my wife's brother and his sons and still keep up on sports so we have something to grunt about.

One things about the Mets' makeup: those guys got all sorts of credit for being colorful winners but none of the blame for being colorful losers. I would like to see the Mets hire a team of African American gentlemen like Jackie, Newk, and Campy; men who had too much dignity to dance like jackasses just because they bunted a man over.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

"Did Donahue die and you're dating Marlo Thomas?"

Awesome!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

"former football players stuffed into designer suits."

wouldn't it be refreshing if they dropped the formality, the pretense, showed up in whatever they wear around the house, even if it were unflattering to the middle aged blown out ex athlete? it would be like Robert Barone style...or sloppy like John Goodman, ya know, sitting around a bar or some guy's garage room, chatting about the game, over a couple of beers and burgers in front of a TV. Maybe they could have an actual outside BBQ setting, or have it in a restaurant where they actually order the food...and maybe change the subject from sports every now and then. A Reality Sports Tawk Show. If someone has to use the bathroom, they just get up and leave the group for a few minutes. Allow for call-in comments. it would be way more interesting and comfortable for everyone.

3:49 PM  
Blogger yakimba said...

Gina's got it!

It couldn't be any worse than what we currently endure. Although, I have to admit an occasional compulsion to listen to these guys because they're so ignorant they make me laugh (Mike's Bob Grant rationalization!).

But back to Gina's idea -- get these leviathons liquored up on TV and watch the fun. Picture-in-picture, they could watch with us, like Mystery Science Theater 3000. That might make for an interesting Sunday afternoon of football ...

9:35 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

My new favorite: hearing a football announcer on a radio highlight screaming an open field run, while the ex-jock who does color is hoo-hooing, oh yeahing in the background.

Paul "Dook" "Paulie Lo Brains" LoDuca was my second favorite Met and he might be broadcast material when he retires. When he wrote our his check [!] to his dealer, he wrote in the Memo line: For Steroids.

I admire Clemens. He reminds of the hilarious scene in the episodic THE GUIDE FOR THE MARRIED MAN where Robert Morse advises Walter Matthau on what do you do when caught by your wife at home in your bed with your girlfriend? Deny.

What's that girl doing in our bed?
What girl?
The one in our bed!
What bed?

The routine goes on like this until Joey Bishop eventually makes his way from the bed, into his clothes, and onto his chair in the living room as his girlfriend makes her way out the door. I saw this movie one hot summer day when I was 10, begged my mother to let me go with the big guys [aged 12-13] on the block.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

my dad told me that sports commentator Dave Madden hosts a relaxed sports talk show set in a bar/restaurant, but he agrees that the picture on picture idea is even better. He's not sure that adding alcoholic beverages would be a good idea.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Rambler said...

great post, reminds me of something Phil Simms said the other day during the game...

4:36 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

That last thought, "try building memories as an active participant in your own life rather than as a passive spectator at a sporting event", was profound. I find that often I feel like a spectator, not of sporting events, but of other people's lives and families. It's been fun, but I think it's time to get my own family. This year, a house that allows for kids and pets! YES! THANKS MIKE!! Merry Christmas!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

oh, Merry Christmas Mike!

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter