Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Shut the fuck up!" Part 2

I wrote about a neighbor, a single mother who constantly screams at her young daughter, in my second post in January 2007. This morning another neighbor lost his patience with her. It was my relatively new neighbor, The Groaner, the one man horror movie soundtrack I've also written about before. Just as I was about to head out for work this morning, he burst out of his apartment into the hallway between his apartment and The Screamer's apartment and let loose with a "Will you shut the fuck up!" that reverberated throughout the building. He continued to berate her at high volume for her various offenses: screaming every morning without any concern for her neighbors and constantly calling her daughter "a stupid idiot" (I've heard her call her "a fucking idiot"). His case fell apart a bit at the end when he turned into The Big Bad Wolf and threatened to kick her fucking door in if she continued with the screaming. I can't imagine what effect this was having on the young girl who has probably been embarrassed by her mother's atrocious behavior numerous times before. I've often felt guilty for not confronting this woman myself in the past. I've held my tongue because I know people can be touchy when it comes to criticizing their parenting skills and didn't want to intrude. As a single guy with no kids, I doubted my argument would carry much weight with her (I always envisioned the conversation ending abruptly with a "Do you have kids?"). I'm hoping this second outburst will have a positive result, but I'm not hopeful. The first outburst quieted her down briefly before the guy attempted suicide and was later removed from the building. I wouldn't be surprised if the cops haven't already visited The Groaner over his threatening remarks. And if The Groaner gets thrown out, does this mean I'm going to have to step up and finally unload on this crazy bitch? Actually, completely losing my shit just might be the thing to cause her to rethink her approach to parenting. I should probably prepare a speech and keep it handy for the day I flip my lid and burst into the hallway raving like my madmen neighbors.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Go Groaner!

It's been a good 4+ years since I last heard that screaming Mimi assaulting/bullying her child, but I can still remember those feelings of helplessness and anger having to listen and not knowing how to respond. Wanting to call the police or at least knock on the door... I spoke to her once and she was deeply depressed about her life. I believe intervention is in order here, Mike. For the child's sake as well as your own. While everyone is entitled to quiet enjoyment of their home, this daily berating/battering thing is deeply disturbing. It's just wrong. I know how you feel interfering in parenting, but this is nothing short of child abuse. Worse when people hear and no one steps up. Go with your instincts, Mike. Next time she starts up just get that mental baseball bat out and take a walk down there...or better yet, call the police. She'll think it's ol' Groaner.
It may be the best thing for the mother as well. Maybe the landlord should know that she is disturbing the peace with her rantings. Give her a warning.

5:46 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

You make some good points, Gina. I will speak to her. I'll tell her that I heard this second outburst and that it would be in the best interest of everyone involved if she learned how to speak to her daughter in a more civil manner. Thanks for giving me the push.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter