Thursday, January 25, 2007

Reflux

Every once in a while my stomach throws a revolt. Certain foods set it off and normally I can wait out the preliminary rumblings. But occasionally all hell breaks loose within a couple mouthfuls of my meal (tomato sauce and Chinese food are the chief instigators). Last night a new tomato sauce I liked (Classico's Sausage, Peppers, and Onions) got things started as I began to chow down on a plate of spaghetti. I hadn't eaten very much when I was rushing for the bathroom. It's happened enough before that I wasn't particularly alarmed (even as recently as last November in a Chinese restaurant on my birthday). A quick upchuck of the offensive matter and I'm usually good to go to finish my meal (it sounds strange, I know, but I generally feel pretty good once the episode has passed). Last night was a little different. The retching was quite intense with more gagging than I'm accostomed to. At one point, I couldn't resist, I had to see what effect all this was having on my face. A hideous visage stared back at me from the mirror above the toilet, I was red verging on purple, eyes bulging, with tears, snot (I have a cold), and drool mixing freely while running down my face. I remembered thinking for a moment that this must be what it's like to choke to death. Am I choking to death? Is that what's going on here? What a stupid way to go? Fortunately, the retching ended. Or so I thought. After sitting back down to my spaghetti (I certainly wasn't going to let it go to waste!), I found myself racing back to the bathroom for a second round. This time it was so sudden, I didn't think I was going to make it. With my hand clamped down firmly on my lips, I could feel the pressure of the vomit building within my mouth as I dashed across my kitchen. Well, this is a new twist, I thought. With a headlong lunge, I made it in time, and the retching was indeed less intense this time around.

I'm happy to report that the rest of my meal was uneventful.

3 Comments:

Blogger ope said...

ibs-lite.

8:26 AM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

Good point. Given the choice, I'd rather puke.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Maeve said...

Pepcid AC, Mike.

I recall dashing into your bathroom to yarp on at least one occasion. It was during that old black and white horror flick, when the evil surgeon was about to remove the face from that poor girl. Thank God for a safe haven when you need to hurl. Don't say that was nothing. He was drawing the line around her face...

Nonna used to add a pinch of sugar to her tomato sauce to cut the acid.

Try the Pepcid AC, Mike.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter