Monday, January 29, 2007

The recurring dream

I had the recurring dream again this Sat. while napping the afternoon away after a very late outing in Brooklyn on Fri. night. The dream is never quite the same, but the dilemma is: the dead body that I've been hiding behind my couch is causing me some inconvenience. I've had this dream a couple times now and every time I've awoken from it, I've been disturbed enough by both the content and the vividness of the dream that I've had to reassure myself momentarily upon gaining consciousness that it was only a dream. This time the dream seemed to have been inspired by some time I recently spent playing with my niece and nephew. They've become fascinated with my record collection at my parents' house--they like picking out records, mostly because of the colors of the sleeves, putting them on the turntable, and pushing the buttons and working the volume. They don't have much patience for listening to a song all the way through though. It's mostly the picking the records and pushing the buttons that interests them. Anyway, in the dream there are a couple kids running around my apartment (I'm pretty sure they weren't my niece and nephew) and climbing on my couch which is in the kitchen for some reason. I'm aware that there's a body of a man behind the couch and I'm doing my best to steer them away from it. At one point I get a peek of the decomposing body's face. It looks a little like a man who worked in a deli I used to frequent except for his eyes. His eyes are strange looking. It didn't occur to me until right now, but his weird eyes may have been inspired by this article I read recently on the internet. I'm successful in steering the kids away, but I'm also thinking I've got to hide the body better (at one point I check under the couch to see if there's room to shove it up there). The kids run off and the dream ends with me still pondering how I might dispose of the body (in a garbage bag? walk him out as if he were a drunk friend ala Weekend at Bernie's?). Before you start offering the obvious interpretations, you should probably know that it is never acknowledged that I am responsible for the man's death. Usually the dream picks up after the fact and the body is a problem for me more because of its inconvenience than because I am personally responsible for his death.

4 Comments:

Blogger yakimba said...

How long have you had this dream? And does it always have the precisely the same elements? What changes if anything?

12:41 PM  
Blogger BayonneMike said...

I've had it a few times. The circumstances aren't always the same. In one instance the body was hidden in the woods.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Angelissima said...

That dead body is the monkey on your back. Try EMDR.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

I used to have a recurring dream where I hid a body in a barrel under the porch.

After GROUNDHOG'S DAY was on TV plus after seeing several Andie MacDowell commercials, I dreamed we were spooning on a loveseat, very innocently. I accidentally brushed her rear with my hand, apologized, and she laughed and said, "Sorry, huh?" Then I woke up. Made the misjudgment of telling my wife this dream, thought she'd get a laugh out of it.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter

Blog Counter